The student practical nurse studies basic nursing skills and such related subjects as body structure and function in wellness and illness, nutrition, pharmacology, obstetrics, and psychology. The clinical experience provides supervised nursing care of medical, surgical, obstetric, and pediatric patients. Both classroom work and clinical experiences are such that upon completion of the course, the graduate is eligible for written examination by the State Board of Nursing. Licensed practical nurses, who have passed their examination, usually work under the supervision of the registered nurse, physician, or dentist.
For an application packet for the Practical Nursing program, please click here:
Before You Apply, You Need to Know This:
- You must pass the HESI admission exam before you may apply.
- Deliver your completed application packet to the Student Services Department at TCAT-Harriman as soon as possible. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 7: 30 am - 4:00 pm.
- Applicants must be capable of passing a physical examination by a licensed physician or other approved health care professional.
- Applicants must be able to pass a drug screen and national background check. Applicants will be notified by the school when these must be conducted .
- Applicants must be able to pass a Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (CPR) class and obtain a certification card.
- Applicants must be able to provide an immunization record to both the Student Services office and the Nursing department..
Start Now—don’t wait! Click here for Practical Nursing application packet:
1745 Harriman Highway
Harriman, TN 37748
Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 23,080
Current job openings per year: 1,210