Student Handbook

Changes in Enrollment Status

It is sometimes necessary for a student to change status or alter his/her attendance schedule. A change of status could be an increase or decrease in scheduled hours to attend. A student may be limited to one change of status per term prior to the census date for the term. However, after the census date, students will normally not be allowed to change status. Additional circumstances where change of status is permitted are:

  • Students may change status between terms; however, approval for the change in status must be granted prior to registration for the subsequent term.
  • A student may be allowed to change status from full-time to part-time or from part-time to full-time during the term only when there are documented medical or personal reasons. Such medical or personal reasons shall include, but not be limited to, serious extended illness of the student, serious or extended illness, death of an immediate family member, or other extraordinary circumstances that are beyond the student's control where continued enrollment would create a substantial hardship.

Students must contact the Student Services Office to request a change in status. If a change in status is approved, the amount of any financial aid awards being received will be adjusted based on the revised scheduled hours for the term. Therefore, students must review the change in status request with the Financial Aid Office. Any amount that the student owes for financial resources already received must be paid back prior to the effective date of the change. The institutional refund policy will be applied to determine if a refund is due. Additional procedures may apply for Wilder-Naifeh recipients when changing status. For students receiving the Wilder-Naifeh Technical Skills Grant award only, the student may appeal a denial of a request for change in status.

Involuntary Withdrawal Policy (Automatic)

Any student who is absent from class for three days without notification to the program instructor will be withdrawn from class per TBR policy 2:03:01:05. On the day following the third no call no show absence, the instructor will complete the required termination procedure and notify the Student Services Office.

Appropriate school personnel will process the withdrawal. The Business Office will determine Return of Title IV Aid Calculation, TBR Refund Calculation and notification of withdrawal to required outside agencies. Should the student return to class after an automatic withdrawal has been processed, the student will be required to complete a new application for enrollment.

Voluntary Withdrawal Policy

Every student should talk with his/her instructor and the counselor before voluntarily terminating his/her training or withdrawing from enrollment at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology. The procedure to terminate/withdraw is:

  1. Talk with your instructor. Explain why you are leaving and what your plans are for the future.
  2. Complete an Exit Interview and turn your ID badge in at the Student Services Department if one was issued.
  3. If a student fails to complete an Exit Interview, the Student Services staff will send the information to the student. This information is very important for COE, U.S. Department of Education, and TBR reporting.
  4. Students may owe refunds for financial assistance programs if they do not complete the hours scheduled during the term they terminate/withdraw. An interview with the Financial Aid Administrator is recommended prior to termination/withdrawal to determine any applicable financial penalties.